Straight from the outer boroughs
by Alexandra Maruri
I'm excited to introduce our guest blogger and newest sponsor today--- Ms. Alexandra Maruri.
Alexandra is a native New Yorker and owner of MCNY Tours, a company giving historical tours in the Bronx. She knows this part of town inside and out, and she's here to tell you the truth about the northernmost borough of the city of New York.
|Woodlawn in the Bronx--photo by Alexandra Maruri|
I was raised in the Bronx. I grew up in the '70s and '80s when it was a different time and place. It's changed a lot since then.
I have news for everyone --- the Bronx is not burning! No matter what you read or see in film or on TV, our borough is alive and well. Like some other parts of New York City, not every neighborhood is pristine or gentrified, but many areas in the Bronx are safe, quiet, and terrific places to live.
I put together the 10 reasons why I love living in the Bronx and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I encourage you to visit our great borough. I promise, you won't be disappointed.
|New York Yankees during the World Series in 2009--by affiliate via Flickr|
1. The NY Yankees! Even though they may lose a World Series, we still say, "There is always next season."
2. Enjoying delicious, fresh jumbo fried shrimp and french fries in City Island in the summer. It feels more like a quaint New England fishing town than any place in New York City.
3. Supporting the kids in Little Ireland selling fresh lemonade in stands on the street. That's buying local.
4. The Bronx accent --- nuff said.
5. Going to Little Italy on Arthur Avenue and buying fresh, hot oven-baked bread and thin- sliced imported prosciutto with fresh mozzarella. Delicioso!
6. Stopping for a shaved ice covered with fruit flavored syrup on the corner in my neighborhood on a hot summer day.
|City Island is like a quaint New England fishing town but it's in the Bronx.--by dory with serifs via Flickr|
7. Peace and quiet away from Manhattan.
8. The sweet smell of green grass and pure oxygen in Van Cortland Park, where breathing is just a little bit easier.
9.The creative talent of the Bronx --- our borough is unique and Bronxites are proud.
10. No matter where I am, my heart is always in the Bronx, the place where I learned to be resilient and strong.
|Autumn in Van Cortland Park--by FreeVerse via Flickr|
This post was sponsored by MCNY Tours.