|by Andrew Malone via Flickr|
|We tasted more than a dozen Domaines Paul Mas wines|
|Mas pours our tastes while we savor delicious food at A Hundred Acres|
Mas compares winemaking to fashion, emphasizing that "coming up with something new" is key, as is clever marketing. He also says success is "adapting to what people want," often reinventing what's been popular in the past. Staying fresh is essential, even for the most established and successful vintners.
|Jean-Claude Mas talks about his wines.|
The Paul Mas Estate 2012 PicPoul De Pinet - $12
The Paul Mas Estate 2012 Marsanne - $12 (personal favorite white)
Scents of white flowers, pears and honeydew melon on the nose, this wine boasts a rich, fresh and mellow mouthfeel of pear and honey with a long, toasty finish.
A great match for seafood dishes, poultry, blue cheeses and fruit tarts.
The Cote Mas Brut - $15
70% Chardonnay, 20% Chenin Blanc, 10% Pinot Noir
A lovely pink with delicate and persistent bubbles. Refined scents of honeysuckle, peach and apricot lead way to a soft mouthfeel of grapefruit and a hint of blood orange.
An excellent aperitif that pairs well with all styles of cuisine.
Paul Mas Estate 2012 Pinot Noir - $12
100% Pinot Noir
Elegant aromas of red berries, strawberry, cherry and soft spices with a hint of vanilla. A medium-bodied wine with ripe tannins and acidity, flavors of red currant and plum and a long lasting finish of clove and vanilla.
Pairs well with roasted meats, poultry dishes, grilled vegetables and a variety of cheeses.
The Chateau Paul Mas 2010 Clos de Savignac - $25 (my personal favorite red)
Mourvèdre (50%), Syrah (30%) and Grenache (20%)
Can age between 5 and 10 years. A perfect match with pasta dishes, rich cuisines like stews, venison, spicy exotic dishes and hard cheeses.
· Abe & Arthurs, 409 W 14th St, New York, NY, 10014
· Alias Restaurant, 76 Clinton St, New York, NY, 10002
· Bar Blanc, 142 W 10th St, New York, NY, 10014
· Le Colonial, 149 E 57th St, New York, NY, 10022
· Porteno Restaurant, 299 10th Ave, New York, NY, 10001
· The Cutting Room, 44 E 32nd St, New York, NY, 10016
· The Dutch, 131 Sullivan St, New York, NY, 10012
· Beacon Wines & Spirits, 2120 Broadway, New York, NY, 10023
· London Terrace Liquor Shop, 221 9th Ave, New York, NY, 10011
· Philippe Wine & Liquor, 312 W 23rd St, New York, NY, 10011
· 120 Wine & Liquor, 120 W 58th St, New York, NY, 10019
· Avenue A Wines, 196 Avenue A, New York, NY, 10009
|"Blind tasting is important. This is how your palate develops."--Jean Paul Mas|
In 2008, Mas was named one of the Top 30 Winemakers of Tomorrow by France's L'Express magazine. Later that same year, Domaines Paul Mas was awarded Winery of the Year by The Guardian newspaper.
Mas also owns Côte Mas, Table et Vins, a restaurant sourcing fresh produce from the region with unique dishes prepared by Japanese chef Taichi Megurikami. The menu features local wines from none other than Domaines Paul Mas. For more info on the wines, visit the website.